Transformer protection and substations
Heat detector cable and water spray extinguishing systems
Fire hazard due to insulating oils overheat
For transformers and substations, an overheating can lead to an ignition of the insulating oils. Although insulating oils have a high ignition temperature, if this is exceeded, an explosive outbreak of fire may ensue.
A heat detector cable can be used for the detection of the fire. A water spray extinguishing system is most commonly used as the extinguishing system. The simultaneous and equal distribution of water quickly extinguishes the fire and prevents a further breakout. The relatively small water droplets ensure a quick cooling down of the overheated parts and the prevention of a reignition. This quick extinguishing of the fire means that there are no long-term operational failures. After a short inspection, the systems are ready for further use.